Monday, November 26, 2012

Thanksgiving and recipes!

We had a really fun Thanksgiving this year. I mean, we've had really fun Thanksgivings the last two years, but this one super stressed me out and the payoff of having good friends come together around delicious food was worth it. I was stressed this year because I was given the responsibility to cook the turkey. My Youtube research paid off, and the turkey was delicious! And the stuffing (which I also made) was really good! And the gravy (which I made up) was super good! Don't worry, I'll divulge my delicious secrets below.

But first some pictures!
Delicious and cute veggie platter
Valerie and Kristine playing Mancala
Our first turkey!
Lookin' good! (yes, me and the turkey)

Kyle did a great job carving the turkey


Valerie, Kristine, and Bridget
Charlie
Playing jumbling towers

Happy Thanksgiving!
We all had a really good time and are sad this is our last year to have Thanksgiving with Bridget and Charlie. And we are glad Valerie and Kristine got to come too. Can I share my cooking secrets now? Yes! Watch these and you will make delicious turkey:








Good luck! I didn't have all the spices these two had so the brine I made was a gallon of chicken broth (way cheaper than vegetable broth), 1/2 cup of table salt, 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1 Tablespoon each of rosemary and thyme. Boiled, then chilled in the fridge, then put in a 5 gallon bucket with a gallon of ice water. After we put the turkey in, we put the bucket in Kyle's car to keep it cold.

Oh, and to make the stuffing I used my mom's stuffing recipe (to be put up later) and Mrs. Cubbison's(r) Corn Bread Stuffing. Sooo good! And the gravy was 2 Tablespoons butter, 2 Tablespoons flour, and a cup of the brine. The brine can probably be recreated with a cup of chicken broth and like a teaspoon of rosemary and a teaspoon of thyme. It was fantastic. I'm excited for next year!

1 comment:

Megan said...

Glad it turned out! My things turned out, too, although I almost burned the sweet potatoes. It would have been very sad. I think the cranberries should have cooked longer to reduce more. I think it will also taste good as a drink mixer (like with 7up).