Thursday, July 26, 2012

Personal Happiness project: week 5


This week is brought to you by the letter E and the challenge: "Exercise daily. Eat fresh foods." I had started going running every day at the end of June but took a break for fourth of July, which lasted about 2 weeks. So now it is time to restart that habit. Get the lead out Jepson! Even though I'm skinny I'm anxious that my body is not in the physical shape that it should be to bear a child (if and when that happens *fingers crossed!*). And exercise is scientifically proven to make you feel better. {insert indisputable scientific study} Case and point: Kyle has been a little upset lately at life. So last night, he did some pushups 'cuz he's a tough guy like that. And he started feeling better! See, exercise is so good for you!

And not eating super processed food is good for you too. We already try to avoid buying processed and prepackaged food (to a degree) because it is expensive. At the grocery store, we pretty much stick to the walls of the store for bread, vegetables, meat, and dairy. But we're not crazy; pasta, premade spaghetti sauce, and frozen vegetables are our friends. And we buy bread instead of making our own (read: we're normal.) I want to try making our own granola. I have a recipe from my sister-in-law that looks pretty good and one that I can do in a breadmaker! Kyle's mom also just gave us a recipe for homemade yogurt that we have yet to try (It requires a gallon of milk! That's a lot of yogurt if it isn't delicious). We have been eating our tomatoes though and they have been good. The other night I made pizza with homegrown tomatoes, bacon, Parmesan cheese, and Italian seasoning on top. The tomatoes have a strong flavor and thick skins but putting them on the pizza was a nice complement for the bacon and good for softening the skins. It was fun to go out to my "garden," pick some veggies, and put them in dinner.

Mmm bacon and tomato pizza
Also, we're going to be moving soon {hopefully} so eating what we already have on hand will be better than getting fast food for dinner (a.k.a. my weakness). Good luck to us and you! Have a happy healthy week!

No comments: